You’re at your first spectator event! What your brain doesn’t need is a hot dog, fries and a diet soda – all choices that lead to poor memory, impaired learning and inflammation of the hippocampus, considered the heart of your brain, the part involved in emotions, learning, and memory formation. You’ve been taxed enough! Your beautiful brain is the most resilient organ in your body, let’s keep it that way. These tips will give you a bullet-proof summer of improved brain function, cognition, and focus.
- For a boost to brain happiness, it needs healthy fats. Think avocado toast.
- For anti-inflammatory powers, blueberries are your superfruit and green leafy veggies, too, as well as provide a positive kick to our mental well-being.
- To increase serotonin levels in your brain; go for complex carbs like whole-grain breads, oatmeal, lentils and beans.
- Omega-3’s found in salmon, tuna, walnuts and eggs can prevent surges in stress hormones and are good for overall brain health.
- A small piece of dark chocolate has been shown to improve brain function.
- Dehydration can cause tiredness, headaches, irritability and decreased concentration levels. Ditch sugary and even diet drinks in favor of sparkling water and stay hydrated.
And finally, because virtually none of these are served in most ballparks or concert venues, plan on eating before you get there. You still get all the fun and will now possess an enhanced ability to pay attention to the main event on the field.